Friday, October 4, 2013

day 4 - small: celebrating the season [5 on Friday!]

31 Days Index
3 days in a row of big stuff. We're really digging deep into intention! Woohoo! Let's take a little time to talk about how we can also be intentional in the little things in life. That's important too!

Join me in being intentional about celebrating the season. Now, we can also interpret that as "seasons of life," but for today...I'm just talking about fall. I love it. And I'm celebrating it on purpose. :)

Grab button for FIVE ON FRIDAY AT THE GOOD LIFE BLOG

Cheers to the lovely lady creators of the 5 on Friday link-up!
(Hiii Darci, April, Christina, and Natasha!)


PUMPKIN COFFEE [AT HOME!]
Target has Archer Farms pumpkin spice coffee on price cut this week. 2/$10. When I saw it in the weekly ad, I put it on our grocery list immediately!

Don't get me wrong, y'all, pumpkin spice lattes are good and everything, but I cannot justify buying them on the reg. I mean, they're $5!! So I have 2 tricks for that: 1) When you go to Starbucks, just ask for pumpkin syrup in your regular coffee (savin' dollas and it still tastes sooo goood!) OR 2) Make this yummy pumpkin coffee at home!!

 My jam this fall.


Recipe
Pumpkin flavor coffee grounds
A [BIG] mug of pumpkin coffee
splash of Vanilla Silk Almond Milk (the sweetened kind!)
A sprinkle of cinnamon
And a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice

Y-U-M! 

DIY FALL BUNTING
England is big into bunting. It is a part of nearly every celebration! So I thought I'd create some for our house...a little touch of Mark's homeland to adorn our fireplace. Here's how I did it:



1. Pick your burlap fabric. I got this precious gold polka-dotted kind from Jo-Ann's Fabric and used a 60% off coupon they had for regular priced fabric! (Keep checking Jo-Ann's coupon page for the latest deals.) Ca-ching! I'm all about that money-savin'. You'll also need scissors, a permanent marker, a triangle to trace, and string + masking tape [which are not pictured]. 

2. Cut a triangle from some old cardboard (or in my case...the top of a ziploc bag box...use what you have, people!). Trace the triangle on the burlap. Hindsight is 20/20 because I should've done this on the BACK of the burlap. Oopsie! Just made for some extra cutting.

3. Don't worry about the scraps and dusty burlap shavings! Your burlap will still hold up nicely. :)

4. Use a white paint pen to write whatever phrase you please! 1 letter per triangle. I chose "HAPPY FALL YA'LL!"

5. Here's the part where I reflect my skills (or lack thereof): no sewing needed! Because...truth be told...I would ruin the whole project if sewing were involved. Just take your string and attach to the back of each flag with some masking tape. It gets the job done quickly and easily so you can hustle your cute little project on to be displayed! Make sure to space your triangles evenly. Hang and stare at the prettiness you just created!

See below to view the finished product at our house...!!!

OUR FALL MANTEL
Pumpkins, candles, bunting...you can't go wrong! I am obsessed with our fall mantel.







GET YOURSELF OUTSIDE!
Well, the trees may not be changing color here, but October 1 DID mark the first day of the bring-your-dog-on-the-beach season. In Wrightsville Beach, dogs are only allowed on the strand from October through April. So 10/1 was a pretty exciting day for the Houstons!

We spent the evening walking with Amelia on the beach and watching the sunset. It was perfect (when Amelia wasn't barking at all the other dogs...)! The 70 to low 80 degree weather here recently has been absolutely glorious!!

Tinypup's 1st trip to Wrightsville Beach!
Our view. I literally took this pic with my iPhone. No editing, no fancy filters, nada. Soaking in the sunset and God's marvelous glory all around us!!

They are so precious (and precious to me!).

DIY FOYER ART
I made this with the same fabric that I used for the bunting. I saw the quote on Pinterest, and I recreated it for our foyer using a white paint pen and...(wait for it)...the inside of a paper Harris Teeter bag. Again: work with what you have!!




Love viewing this little setup when I walk in our front door!
Happy fall, y'all!! And happy weekend! The Houstons are up to some fun stuff, so be sure to follow us on Insta to see what's happening! ;)

Let's be intentional about celebrating the season!!  
post signature

53 comments:

  1. LOVE the fall banner...it turned out SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eee! thanks girlie!!!! appreciate it lots! :)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Cute mantel! Visiting from 5 on Friday! www.styleoyster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! thanks doll!!! popping on over to your blog right now! :)
      xx

      Delete
  3. Love this post!! I started just putting some pumpkin spice in my vanilla coffee in the morning, but your recipe sounds really good! Also I'm loving your fireplace mantel with the garland and that painting! :) Amelia is SO cute, its the perfect weather to take the pups to the beach now! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. confession: i'm having a midday cup of coffee right now as i type!!! it's just so yummy! ;) thanks for the love girl!!! glad we've found each other in this blog world! ;) happy weekend! xx

      Delete
  4. ok hold the phone- where is that framed art from? (the gold framed water color flowers?) I NEED that in my life! Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jessi!!!! and...THAT PAINTING...girl, I KNOW! i'm so obsessed with it that it's exactly what i wanted to see every time i walked in the door!!! my dad actually bought it for me about 4 years ago. nice taste, dad, right?! i'll have to ask him who the artist is!!! xx

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the kind comment about our painted pumpkins! I'm in love with your fall mantle and that painting you have above it is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In love with your fireplace and decor! It is fab! And of course the fall accents are perfect too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I'm DYING over your mantle and entry art!!! Also, do we both have Mark husbands? Love it! Glad to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i noticed that too!!! LOVE that we both have mark hubbies! aren't marks the best?! lucky us!!!! ;)

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  8. hi jill!!! :)

    thanks for the encouragement, girlie!! listen - we are SO pumped about that fireplace. our last home was sans-fireplace. so having it is a wish that came true! NOT having a fireplace makes us really appreciate this one...now if it could get a little colder so we could get it crackling!! ;)

    i did the collage with the rounded edges online actually. super easy ... on http://www.fotor.com/features/collage.html yay!

    xx
    elise

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the DIY hallway art! Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. all of these are adorable and such neat ideas. I especially love the foyer art, I love that verse. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks brett!!! happy weekend to you too, doll!!!

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  11. Hi Doll! Thanks for the follow! I'm now following you as well and can't wait to see what you have in store! Amen for the pumpkin coffee, I'll be making some today!

    Mariya @ http://mycraftaffair.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! so glad we've connected! happy, happy weekend, lady!!

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  12. Thanks for reaching out, I'm excited to start following you too!

    I am drooling over the cherry blossom art above your fireplace! We got married during the peek cherry blows do season in DC so they have a special place in my heart!

    Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed those, as well! I grew up right outside of DC!!

      Delete
    2. awww yay! thank you! my mama found that piece. she bought one for me and one for my sister. we love them!!! happy weekend to you too, dear! xx

      Delete
  13. Talk about a cute pup! Amelia is precious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks ashley!!!! she has our heart! if we're this obsessed with her...we can't imagine how it'll be when we have kiddos one day...ha! ;)

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  14. The Target pumpkin spice coffee is my favorite seasonal blend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how is pumpkin everything SO GOOD?!?! loving it all!! :)

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  15. Super, super cute mantle!! I like it much better than mine!! I may have to make that adorable bunting!! Excited to follow your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! girl...the bunting is so easily! and i'm thinking it will keep well too for the years to come. woohoo!!!

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  16. Beautiful beach! Loving your fall decor, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love love love the bunting banner and your DIY fall photo!
    I also have the pumpkin coffee and I actually like it better than a PSL!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! you also just found a new follower! :)

    Tawnya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay yay yay!!! you're so sweet...thank you! totally agree about the coffee!!!!! :)

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  18. Stopping by from the 5 on Friday linkup! I am LOVING the gold polka-dot bunting! I am headed to my hometown this weekend, and they have a JoAnn's - I may have to go there immediately!! Love your DIYs and all the helpful money-saving tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! girl, you'll have to stop by JoAnn's! there was one with silver polka dots too. so much cute fabric in that store!!! and thank you for the encouragement! i'm always all about pinching a penny when i can!

      hoppin' on over to your blog now... :)

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  19. I am absolutely LOVING that bunting. I am definitely going to Joann's this weekend to look for that fabric! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!!! and sure thing, girlie...my pleasure! :) you'll have to let me know if you find it! it's SO STINKIN CUTE!!! they have one with silver polka dots as well!!

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  20. I never realized how easy bunting was! I think I can tackle it and would love to put some on my mantle like you did! I bought a Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte mix from Target for about $3.50 and is like a combo of PSL and Chai Tea Lattes. I mix almond milk in it and it's so good! My dog loves the beach too! I love Wrightsville Beach! My family had a beach house there this past summer and it's such a nice beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are so presh!!!! just hopped on over to your blog and started following...YAY!

      and girl...almond milk makes everything SO GOOD. isn't it the best?!! ;)

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  21. I had to come check out your blog after I saw your sweet comment. You are too adorable - and crafty too! Love the banner and framed quote - super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww...so glad you popped on over! glad we connected :) thanks for the sweet encouragement, jen!

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  22. Gorgeous sunset photos! Also love the fall decor. Following on bloglovin. -Andrea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks girlie!!! and...same! bloglovin. ;)

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  23. The mantle is great! I'm doing mine this weekend! Thanks for following my blog - I'm following yours too!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome...yay! can't wait to see how yours turns out!!! so fun!

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  24. Love the idea of your intentional series. Living with more intention is a must in my busy life!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for stopping by my blog :) Ummm I just left Target and wish I had seen this post sooner I so would have grabbed some pumpkin coffee!! I love the bunting and framed quote. New follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your fall bunting is super cute. But I really love that cherry blossoms artwork over your fireplace. Soo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your fall decor...simple and beautiful! And walking on the beach...one of the best things about this state! :-) Thanks for being the link up and I hope we get more people to join us soon. Have a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete