Tuesday, October 1, 2013

day 1 - big: your life's purpose

31 Days Index

It would be silly to write about being intentional for 31 days straight without starting from the top. The big guns. I'm talking about the purpose behind your life. Your whole life.

"Make a career out of something you love."
"Do what makes you happy."
"Be a good person."

Those sound pretty good, right?! I think society would indeed call these "good."

But can I be completely real (and vulnerable) for a second? Those just don't cut it for me. They don't sit well with my heart. And at the risk of sounding like a total jerk or being completely misunderstood...when I hear those words above said to me...the words "you're such a good person"...my heart sinks. Breaks. (Am I the only one that has ever felt this way?!) My brain thinks, "yikes." Yeah, pretty much the opposite reaction that was supposed happen.

Yikes? Yes. YIKES!  Because in my head these questions are swarming: What am I doing that isn't giving God the glory? Am I not being bold enough for Christ? Have I not successfully glorified Him with my actions or pointed my aim and my hope back to Him?!

As a follower of Jesus...a sinner in need of a Savior every single day...I can't help but believe that we're made for something more than limited, earthly expectations. Something greater, bigger, better, BEYOND ourselves. With that said, I had to try and hammer down what I believe to be the intention behind my life. My life's purpose. Here's what I came up with (after lots of stewing):

The purpose of my life is to glorify God by striving to become more like Christ, 
while relying daily on the grace that I receive through faith.

[Note: Reference Psalm 115:1, Romans 8:29, and Ephesians 2:8 -- these were clearly resonating in my heart as I thought about this!]

I am a constant work in progress. My whole life is constant a work in progress. And it always will be. I will strive to be transformed daily (see Romans 12:2)...never wanting to become stagnant...always pressing forward towards this intentional goal.

Phew. That was big stuff. Will you join me in determining the purpose of your life? Your intention in living? Just...think about it. :)
post signature

5 comments:

  1. Elise: So fun that we chose the same topic for 31 days. I'm sure we will both hit it from a different angle. I'm writing to myself, too, because goodness knows I am not intentional enough. Writing this series, I hope, will help. Nice to "meet" you! And blessings as you explore this topic!

    Christy @ A Heartening Life
    www.ahearteninglife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited that you're writing about being intentional as well! We're in this together, girl! I'm looking forward to reading, getting to know you, and joining you on the journey of being intentional!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great summary of your purpose! You put into words what I had floating around in my head! I found your blog from the 31 Days challenge and I'm looking forward to following along with you! :-)

    ReplyDelete