Saturday, October 19, 2013

day 19 - small: 2 ingredient make your own soap for .25 a bottle!

31 Days Index
  
It counts to be intentional about the littlest things too. Like making your own soap! This one goes out to my darling friend, Bethany, who reintroduced me to Dr. Bronner's after I hadn't used it for over a decade. (The only time I used it before was on an outdoor adventure trip with Moondance! We used it to wash our dishes, ourselves, brush our teeth...oh the many uses of Dr. Bronner's!)


Fast forward over a decade later, and Dr. Bronner's and I are bffs again, y'all. Here is the lowdown:

 1. If you like being green...
It's certified organic, fair trade, and filled with essential oils and natural things.
(Not the fake, GMO-filled "all natural" things like at the grocery store. REAL goodness from nature!)
No chemicals here! You can even wash your fruit/veggies with it!! 
2. If you like saving money...
Making your own soap means it costs about .25 cents for a bottle.
(I'll explain the math later on below!)

Okay, have I got you hooked yet?!?! Here is the recipe...! 

Ingredients
1 tbsp Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap*
1 cup water
[You will also need an empty FOAM soap bottle...I reused one from Bath & Body Works.]
*It comes in so many scents! Pick your favorite! :) I love the lavender. You can buy Dr. Bronner's online or (wait for it...) AT TARGET!

Directions
1. Pour 1/2 cup water in foaming soap bottle.
2. Add 1 tbsp of your favorite Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap.
3. Pour remaning 1/2 cup water into the bottle.
4. Gently stir, put on the cap, and there you have it! 
It's that easy!! And wanna know the madness behind the math?

$16.99 for a 32oz bottle of Dr. Bronner's at Target
There are 64 tablespoons in 32oz. 
So $16.99/64=$.02654...

That's like a quarter per bottle of soap! HELLO! Awesome. And if you do some hunting online, you can surely find the 32oz bottle for less as well. Target is just so convenient (and sans shipping cost)!

Questions? You can read more about Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap (and it's multiple uses!) here. We use it for body wash, washing dishes, and washing fruits/veggies as well!

Let me know if you try it!...or if you use Dr. Bronner's for anything else!..or if you think I'm completely bonkers. ;)

post signature

15 comments:

  1. I might just have to invest in a bottle of Dr. Bronner's and see how it works. Making your own soap is definitely much cheaper than buying the already made stuff these days. Thanks for sharing! And thanks for becoming my 300th follower. Added your blog to my Bloglovin' feed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. woop woop! you're welcome, pretty mama! :) and girl...dr. bronner's is my jam! seriously. cheap, easy, and smells SO good. not to mention all of the good ingredients that make it up!!! we use it daily! hope y'all love it too!
      xx
      elise

      Delete
  2. This is amazing! We use to use Dr. Bronner's to wash our daughter's bottles, etc. Never knew I could make some awesome foaming soap with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that makes sense! so smart!!! putting that one in the back pocket for the future...bottle cleaning! :) love it!

      definitely try it as soap too! we love it at our house!!!

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  3. oh my gracious!!!!! what a sweet surprise, lauren! THANK YOU!!!!!! :) :) :)
    xx
    elise

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love Dr. Bronner's, I use it for everything! More people need to know about it, so thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! So glad to here y'all use it too! Couldn't agree more. Hopefully we can spread the Dr. Bronner's love! :)
      xx
      elise

      Delete
  5. Okay this is the coolest...can't wait to purchase! Thanks for the awesome tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's seriously the best!!! Obsessed. And you are most welcome! Happy to share :)
      xx
      elise

      Delete
  6. Oh my, I have some of this in my cabinet that I completely forgot about!! Totally making soap next time I run out. And I had no idea you could use it for your fruits and veggies, too! I've been using vinegar and water for that, which works great, but this would smell so much better. Thanks for sharing (and the reminder!)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is AWESOME!!! I am totally going to have to try this!! Thanks for the tip :) Wooohooo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Dr. Bronner's! Your method looks much faster & easier than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG this seems doable! I've been looking for some natural/cheaper alternatives to the soap I'm using right! Awesome post :)

    AJ | TheAJMinute
    @TheAJMinute

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great tip! I'm pinning it to try later :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY! So glad, love!!! Makes me smile.

    xx
    elise

    ReplyDelete