Thursday, October 10, 2013

day 10 - small: healthy eating [pumpkin, kale, + cheese pasta]

31 Days Index

You might've read here that I'm into being intentional about what I feed my little family. You aaaalso might've read that I'm new at learning my way around the kitchen. Remember: if I can cook it, you can definitely cook it.

If you're like me, anything pumpkin from September-November screams, "TRY ME! NOW!" I pinned this recipe on Pinterest and tweaked because I'm a wannabe kitchen goddess I didn't feel like going to the grocery store. Truth! Work with what you have. And guess what? I didn't ruin anything. It was still good. And it had a lot more kick to it than I expected. Win!

Now, let's get to it...pumpkin, kale, and cheese pasta!
[you can find the original recipe sans-Elise-tweaks here]


Ingredients
1 box whole wheat pasta (I used rotini)
2 tbsp butter
2-3 heaping cups of kale, large stems removed
1 can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 tsp thyme
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup shredded parmesean cheese
1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
[Optional: breadcrumbs and extra cheese for the baking! -- I left this part out but still let it bake for a bit]

Directions
Preheat oven to 350.

Cook pasta according to directions. In the meantime, melt your 2 tbsp of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the thyme and kale. Stir mixture and let the kale crisp for about 3 minutes.

Next, add the can of pumpkin puree, 1/2 cup milk, and cheese to the skillet. Stir to combine until the mixture is warm and your cheese has melted. Season with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper (give or take to your liking).

Combine the pumpkin, cheese, and kale mixture with drained pasta. Mix together and pour into a casserole dish.

Add extra cheese and/or breadcrumbs on top if you wish! Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden.




How 'bout it?! It works as your main dish or as a side! Pumpkin YUM.

post signature

23 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds so good! I'm not sure why, but kale intimidates me. I'm also a terrible cook. But I am so bookmarking this to try it! Thanks for the post!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kale sounds intimidating, doesn't it?! i love it though. it's kind of an aquired taste, maybe?! but i loooooove it.

      Delete
  2. Oh girl this looks delish! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no prob, love! easy and super yummy and full of fall goodness!!!! :)
      xx

      Delete
  3. If you love pumpkin recipes, I highly recommend baking and purreing your own pumpkin! It's way better than the canned stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really?!?! sounds like a fun adventure. i'd be nervous to try...but it sure sounds AWESOME and MUCH, MUCH more fresh and healthy!!!

      Delete
  4. Ohhhh this looks so yummy! :-) I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love kale but not always sure what to do with it so thanks for this recipe! This looks so yummy! I also want to try that butternute squash and kale quesadilla you made a while back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Elise! So glad we connected and I love keeping up with you! I just nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award -- check out A Southern Style to find out more!

    xo, Zelle
    A Southern Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my goodness! zelle!! you are the sweetest...what a sweet surprise to read today!! eeeee! thank you!!!!! xx

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness does this like DEEEELISH! I'm totally bookmarking this, and hopefully I'm able to sneak some green in on my husband without him putting up too much of a fuss ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay!!! SO yummy. one of my girlfriends is making it for her hubby too and adding some sausage...talk about YUM! i bet that would be amazing!!!
      xx
      elise

      Delete
    2. ps just started following your blog...hooray!! pumped! xx

      Delete
  8. This sounds delicious! I'm going to try this one next weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! definitely do, doll. so yummy! my hub is having leftovers for lunch today!! :) xx

      Delete
  9. yay!!! you are too sweet! :)

    and I'm glad that we have the same taste in adorable sweatshirts. :)

    happy happy friday, babe!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so good! I am going to have to try!
    Thanks for sharing and linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome looking recipe! I have been trying to "sneak" kale into things so that my husband will eat it :) .

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks, doll!!! and thank you for the info as well! :)
    xx
    elise

    ReplyDelete