Thursday, October 24, 2013

day 24: praying for people unknown

31 Days Index
 
We talked yesterday about time. I believe that if the Lord is truly #1 in your life, your time should easily reflect your commitment to prayer and quiet time/being in the Word/worship etc.

But let's dig a little deeper into prayer. There is just a little something that God has put on my heart lately...

I'm good at praying for the right now moments...praying for the things in the near future...praying in thanksgiving for what's in front of me. But what about a prayer of surrender to the unknown? What if we were intentional about praying for people in our lives before we even met them? For whatever reason, the Holy Spirit keeps stirring and stirring this wondering in my heart.

First, let me clarify: when I'm talking abut praying for people unknown, it's a challenge I want to give to you no matter what stage of life you find yourself in!

Pray for your future spouse.
For your future babies.
For the future spouse of your sweet kiddos.
For your future grandchildren.
For the legacy that the future generations of your family will leave.










Well, maybe thaaaat could be a reason God has laid this on my heart...








I treasure my friendships like whoa. The girlfriends that I have are like gold. They are rare gems, and I treasure them so dearly! Their hearts push me to be more like Jesus in many different ways. And I could just talk, talk, talk their sweet little ears off!!! And right now...I literally could talk to them about when we have babies and our future kiddos being bffs and that we'll hopefully eventually be neighbors (you get the picture) for hours. But what about Jesus? Yep, I need to turn to Him more.
You see, since Marky and I moved to Wilmington, I've felt this strong urge to pray for our future little flock of Houston babies. I don't know how to explain it. I just felt led to start committing their lives to prayer daily. Not because we're trying. Not because we're getting ready to have them in the near future. But amidst the peace I feel in this stage of life, God laid on my heart to pray for these little humans that we'll bring into the world one day.

(Side note of t keepin' it real here...there are still plenty of "baby fever" jokes in our house. I do love to talk about the little humans that we'll create one day. That's nothing new though. I've been talking about having babies since my my sister and I played "house" every single stinkin' day of our lives and precisely named 2 little baby dolls Sally and Melissa. Amidst the contentment of where we are right now...I've been anticipating being a mama with such happiness ever since I can remember. :))

So every night. I pray. Hard. For these however many little kids of ours. Some by name. (But not all of them have names yet...;))

And then...this happens: WORRY. FEAR. WHAT IF... after WHAT IF?... creeps into my brain.

To that...God always tells me His words right here:

Source

So I'm praying...praying through any fear... praying steadfastly for the people unknown. With contentment and joy for the here and now. With hope and trust for the future. I'm being intentional about my time. My prayers. And living deeply in my life stage while covering the next in prayer.

Source


post signature



8 comments:

  1. Loved this post :) I too am trying to be intentional about my time with God. One of my friends mentioned this in a group discussion this past week, "God gives you EVERYTHING.. you can take out 20 minutes (or however long you choose) to give to Him".. and that just reiterated what I've been trying to do. I am also praying for the unknown - the future - and asking God to show me HIS WILL for my life. It's scary and it's exciting :) I'm happy that you blogged about this today! I sincerely love reading from other bloggers who's eyes are hearts are on God :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, Elise. YOU are beautiful and what precious, blessed babies you'll have one day! What a great encouragement to pray...steadfastly pray! Admittedly, my prayer life is an area I could certainly grow in but, thankfully, I'm aware of this and making prayer a high priority in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, yes! I have been trying to make a conscious effort to pray about it more and worry/talk about problems less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray for my future husband daily but sometimes its HARD to pray for someone who may not even exist! So I usually follow it up by praying God will help me find peace with His plan for my life whether or not it includes a husband & babies.
    Awhile back I saw something on Pinterest that read along the lines of "Be as quick to kneel as you are to text" and it really stuck with me. So often when something stressful or joyous happens my immediate response is to text a friend to complain or share the news when really my first reaction should be to pray about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. loving your posts this week elise! you have such a big heart--and you are so encouraging. I feel like women are always looking five steps ahead and worrying about everything...I think it is something that is innate within us, to be planners. When we look ahead and dream big we just gotta be better at praying more...which will bring in the worrying less.
    happy Thursday friend!
    meagan

    ReplyDelete
  6. this was a much needed read! love this.

    prayer helps with so much its amazing.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post - thank you for sharing! Wonderful reminder, "Pray more. Worry less."

    ReplyDelete