Wednesday, October 23, 2013

day 23 - big: time

31 Days Index
Do you ever have those moments when you're like? Oh. Wait, really?!? Of course. Thanks, God.
That would be me yesterday. For whatever reason, I kept switching around the date of this post about time. I've switched it 2-3 times I think...for no important reason...just because. And then God laid it aaaallllllll in my lap.

Yesterday at our new church home (yay!) I attended an awesome weekly event for women called Sisterhood. It's fellowship, teaching, and (of course) coffee! And wouldn't you guess what the teaching was on yesterday...?! TIME. Even more specifically, being intentional about your time.

Bam. Thanks, God.

It is my prayer that these words minister to you in some way. I take no credit for them! They are all a result of the beautiful teaching I heard yesterday as well as through the power of the Holy Spirit!! 

There was so much goodness I couldn't write quickly enough!!!


Everyone is so "busy." Schedules. Routines. To do lists. People to see. Places to go. Emails to return. People to feed. A house to clean. Dishes in the sink. Workout, maybe? There aren't enough hours in the day...right?!

But time is a constant. It's fixed. 
There will always be 60 seconds in 1 minute. 60 minutes in 1 hour. 24 hours in 1 day.
You can't change time. No human can. 

What can you do to be more intentional about your time? First, think about your priorities. Establish them. And, while you're at it, go ahead and make God #1 and your family #2 (even more specifically within #2 spouse then kids). These are non-negotiables.

Practice keeping #1 and #2 as "first things first." Always at the top. Always the priority. Before your to-do list. Before that "urgent" thing pops up. Because, you know what? (This is a new idea for me)...Priorities are a learned skill. (I was like...hold up. Wait? Really? Yep.) Again: priorities are a learned skill

So if your mind is trained to believe wholeheartedly that #1 and #2 are most important ALWAYS...won't it be easier for other things to fall into place behind your "first things first?" Because you know #1 and #2 aren't getting bumped. That's a skill I need to work on for sure!

[Super quick side note: A quote that I have written on my heart from our pastor at home... "Kids spell love T-I-M-E."]


Source

I'm just going to directly quote Harriet Blevins regarding this Scripture:

"Our time is marked by seasons...are the seasons that we find ourselves in intentional or haphazard?"

Think of the "seasons" like phases in life. For example, right now I'm in the married-with-no-kids phase. It's a season of my life. So am I just trying to simply get through every day just to get through it? Or am I living intentionally--with purpose--during this season? It's a question we should all ask ourselves regardless of what season of life we're in!

---------------------------

As a final thought, soak on this: "There is a big difference between managing your time and being a steward of your time."

Stewards invest their time and lay their lives down for others. Let's be intentional about stewarding our time instead of simply managing it. Of course, we need to manage our time wisely because if we don't manage time, then time will manage us! But let's step up our game and be more intentional about stewardship.

When you invest your time (as opposed to just managing it), focus on "being a legacy builder." The time that you've prioritized...use it to leave an eternal mark in our world.

To Christ be the glory!! Love y'all.  Thanks for reading. :)

post signature


26 comments:

  1. I love this post. It is do true. Unless you're mindful of it, time gets away from you so easily!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forwarding to reading your blog everyday! Today's post has been so close to my heart lately. So close. I love the thought of priorities being a learned skill. I have never thought about that before! And then with my kiddos, remembering that yes, they do hear/feel love through time is a great encouragement to be a steward of my time, not just a manger. Thank you for being sensitive to God's leading and posting this at the most perfect time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGOSH yes! People need to slow down in life and just ENJOY it! I know I am xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is oh, SO relevant to my life right now. I absolutely feel like time is just flying by, and there is not enough of it in every day. Sometimes I feel like I am just racing against the clock. But you know what? You are right. Setting my priorities will definitely help with managing my time. Because the floors are always going to need to be mopped. The laundry is always going to need to get done. Dinner is always going to need to get cooked. But my son won't always be a tiny baby who just wants to snuggle with his mommy. And that is WAY more important than anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, I LOVE this! My hubs served and LDS mission in Mexico City, Mexico and I asked him once what he missed about Mexico. He told me he missed their way of life. They go to work for a few hours and when it's time to go home? They go home and are REALLY home. Work doesn't follow them home. Work doesn't rule their lives. They enjoy every moment and really LIVE. Why the USA is so dependent on their status at work is beyond me. It's way better to enjoy LIFE, family and friends than work, work, work all the time! It doesn't give us time to open our eyes to our surroundings and serve others when we are so caught up in our crazy, busy schedules!

    ReplyDelete
  6. elise,

    I've been struggling with this lately--how do I spend my time wisely and be present with those I love, at work, at home, etc. simply by being intentional :)

    thanks for sharing this :) you're the best!

    meagan

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post really spoke to me! And I needed to read it! Funny how my devotional this morning was all about time and tracking what we spend our time each week doing because how we spend most of our time directly relates to our priorities. Thank you for this! What a great reminder - and gentle push - your post and my devotional have been to me to make sure that I'm setting aside that time I need with my Savior every day! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again, so glad I came across your blog! Time is such a common struggle. I saw your post on IG yesterday and that really hit me, as busy as our schedules get to make sure they always reflect GOD! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. girl...you are so stinkin sweet. thanks for the encouragement!!! cheers to being hopeful that we are constant in pursuing HIS light and HIS joy!!!
      xx
      elise

      Delete
  9. What a great reminder! The pace of the last month or so has felt out of control and I needed a push towards being more disciplined and prioritizing my time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you sweet lady! This has been on my mind so much lately. As I looked through my daily schedule last week I realized I had made time for everything but him. I don't know why that is. This is just what I needed to put quite time back on my calendar and seek him in my daily routine. Hope your day is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! #1 & #2 are definitely things that I need to be more conscious of being non-negotiable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love this. It always feels like time is slipping away and being more intentional helps us feel like we made the most of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely! trying to train myself into these priorities right along with ya! :)
      xx
      elise

      Delete
  13. Totally true! Time always gets away from me and I am not always even sure with what!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this. I think in this day and age time is something that we all struggle with. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great way to think about this! I'm am obsessed with time and time management, almost too much to the point where I'm constantly stressed by what time it is. However, I hardly ever think about how I invest it though or how much of it I devote to my top priorities. Something I need to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  16. such a positive post! Thanks for sharing- did you see the preview floating around on facebook for the trailer to "God's Not Dead" ? After reading this post it made me think of you!! Enjoy your day!

    xoxo Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eeee! need to go watch it NOW!!! thanks for the nudge, lovie!!

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  17. "There is a big difference between managing your time and being a steward of your time." Exactly. We all need to read this + re-read this. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thanks doll. your encouragement means so much!!!! Glory to GOD! His words, not mine!

      need to catch up on your blog right about .... NOW.

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  18. The other week I wrote a post about how we complain so much that we don't have the time but in reality we're just terrible at how we manage our time. Sometimes we have to sit down and assess our priorities. Once we get those in order it's pretty easy to see how we should be using our time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Them is powerful words girl! Thank you for sharing this. I LOVE that thought about stewardship and investing our time. It's something I've learned in the past but had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder. Your blog is beautiful by the way and I'm so excited to meet another Christian blogger. I love when that happens. Keep sharing your faith! I hope to visit again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a great post. I personally feel like I get swept up in the day to day tasks and tend to forget to stop and remember what's important. This post was a great reminder for me so thank you for that!!

    ReplyDelete