Wednesday, October 16, 2013

day 16 - big: serving

 
31 Days Index
 
Serving. We are called to serve. Always. And that doesn't have to mean go somewhere far away. So how can we be more intentional about serving others?

Source
You can serve in your home.
I think mommies are the most underrated and unrecognized servants in our world. I am pretty sure that when you have a baby, you commit to a life of self-sacrificial love.

I made that revelation when we were in England this past summer. Mark's mum (Hiii Debbie! I love you and miss you!!! xx) has one of the most beautiful servant hearts I know. Whenever we're at home in England, she is always asking Mark and I if she can make us some tea, do our laundry (AND she irons it all...even Mark's 358234 t-shirts), fix us a meal, suggest a place for us to go visit...and that's just the tip of the iceberg. It truly amazes me. She amazes me! Serving, serving, serving. All the time.

It reminded me that...even with Mark being her 27-year-old son...mamas never stop serving
That fact goes for my mama too! I suppose (sadly) sometimes it's easier to recognize servanthood when it's not your own family...or rather when it's not within the routine you are used to. So with that said...go call your mom (or anyone in your family) today and say "thank you!" (Thanks for your servant heart, Mommy!!!!)

Source
You don't have to be a mommy to serve in your home though! True story: when I was (begrudgingly) ironing Mark's shirts this weekend--I'm a horrible iron-er, by the way--I decided to look at the task as a way of serving my husband. It didn't help my ironing skills, but it did help my heart. :) There are tons of other little examples like this one!! Just exchange "ironing Mark's shirts" with "picking up his clothes off the floor"..."moving his dishes from the sink into the dishwasher"...etc. ;)

You can serve in your city.
Personally, this is one I need to be more intentional about. I look forward to serving more in our new city once we choose a new church home here. I tend to serve locally more through church...BUT there are plenty of organizations and outreaches everywhere that will help you serve your local community!

Source

Have you heard "God of This City" by Chris Tomlin? Love it. Go ahead and have a listen! It reminds me of driving to the elementary school where I taught, looking at the beautiful sunrise, thanking God, and crying while listening to these lyrics playing on the radio. All at once. (Yes, hi. I am a crier.)

You can serve globally.
Maybe God has called you to serve his people globally. It's important for us to remember that God's kingdom isn't full of people that have it just like we do.

God led Mark and I to Burundi this past summer. The funny thing about that was...those people wrecked our hearts for Jesus and served us with their presence more than we could ever have served them. (You can about our trip here.) I think of heaven and the people I will meet there a lot differently as a result of this trip.

Mark and I with one of our students.
--------------------
What about you...in what ways are you most intentional about serving? Or in what ways should you be more intentional about serving? This post has definitely got my wheels turning (and the conviction in my heart stirring!)!

I'll leave you with this:

Source
 Love y'all! Thank you for journeying through these 31 days with me.

post signature

12 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful post today!! Love reading your blog. I nominated you for the Sunshine Award today:
    http://pineapplepetespassion.blogspot.com/2013/10/sweet-sunshine.html
    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love this - hits home! One of the verses we have up in the house is Galations 5:13 "Serve one another in love" & it's SUCH a good reminder as I am doing dishes, picking up around the house, etc. Thanks for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love this. It is something that I am struggling with right now.. serving in the home vs. work and what is the right calling for my life. Also, I'm glad my husband isn't the only one that leaves his dishes on the counter instead of the dishwasher haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post! And love the cute "love served here" print :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Serving is something I've been feeling very convicted about lately! Both my husband and I are in a season of committing to say "yes" to opportunities to serve--we want to make it more of a daily part of our lives: and so far this week we've both had opportunities to go the extra mile in serving others. God gives opportunities when you have your eyes open for them, that's for sure! I feel like when we first got married we got a little bit lazy and selfish and only wanted to spend time with each other--but we're not called to be selfish, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post. It's been on my heart a lot lately. In fact, during my quiet times I've been reading James and 1Peter and just felt convicted to look at my heart and really try to focus on serving my family well and with a heart of Gratitude. It's hard to have that mindset sometimes when I feel blah about doing laundry everyday because my son has leaked everyday for 2 weeks in his sleep. But it's in the mundane that we find beauty. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You couldn't be more correct! We take so much for granted, especially from the ones we love most. We just assume and expect certain things to happen, and be said and done for us without the slightest consideration for where that "servitude" comes from. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Servant hearts are heavy hearts to carry, but definitely the most rewarding. So cool that you went to Burundi with Forest Hill, I know that God did big things in your heart in that trip. When I lived in Charlotte I went to Forest Hill in High School, and loved it lots.

    thanks for sharing this post!

    meagan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elise, you rock. Thank you for the reminder of all the ways we should ALL be serving. I really enjoyed reading this. Thank you for sharing your heart with is :)

    I tried emailing you back to a couple of my comments - but your e-mail address is not linked up!

    Happy Wednesday :) oxCami

    ReplyDelete
  10. So inspiring and encouraging. Thanks for sharing this - just found your blog and series, excited to follow ya via GFC :)

    XO
    Erin
    www.sweetnessitself.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog amazes me and helps me have a daily reminder of how we all should be serving.
    love this.

    you are inspiring!
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post! I have personally always felt a calling to help others and I think that is because I grew up surrounded by adults who were always serving others. Hopefully this lovely post will inspire other to dig a little deeper and give of themselves!

    ReplyDelete