Thursday, October 3, 2013

day 3 - big: priorities

31 Days Index
Priorities. I feel like we all have them whether we intentionally choose them or not. Or maybe we have set priorities but the ranks we keep in our heads do not mirror how we live our lives.
I know I'm new at this whole marriage thing (1 year, 2 months in -- woowoo!), but I thought a lot about the priorities I wanted in life before we got married. A whole lot. 
My parents separated before I started my senior year of college. They divorced a few years later. And I got married pretty freshly after that at 25.

Photo by Elizabeth Scott Photography






 I just love how happy and excited we are in that picture.
I love being his wife!! Marriage has been such a joy and a blessing to us.

As much as my heart completely breaks over divorce, I have found some gratitude in the fact that my parents' divorce made me look at marriage in a completely different light. Had they still been happily married, I know I would've gone into marriage with naive, fairytale ideas.
I could go on and on about marriage, family, and divorce (because, let's be real, I have very strong, heartfelt, passionate opinions on each). But the long and short of it is this: I have 3 priorities that are non-negotiables. Mark and I agreed on them in our pre-marital counseling, and we will strive wholeheartdly to honor them throughout our lives.

1. God
2. Each other (as husband and wife)
3. (Future) Kids
[4. Everything Else]
I realize that life will ebb and flow...we will have challenges, heartaches, and unforeseen happenings that will make these priorities a struggle sometimes. I am aware of that. 

But even for our little family...we've set our priorities. We know them. And I think that counts for something. :)

Do you have set priorities that you're intentional about? It's a topic worth exploring regardless of your life stage.

post signature

 

2 comments:

  1. I'm getting married in March and my fiance and I have been talking a lot about priorities! Love your perspective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're so sweet!! thanks girlie -- i'm all about sharing perspective within a community....even/ESPECIALLY when i don't have it all figured out! just started following your blog...yay! what an exciting (and busy!) time for y'all as you prepare for marriage!

      xx
      elise

      Delete