Tuesday, October 22, 2013

day 22 - big: seeing His creation


31 Days Index
 
Seeing His creation...this is all about traveling, right?  Nope. Though I am a definite advocate for traveling. I couldn't have experienced this past year and not admit that I am, indeed, passionate about seeing the world...

From Left to Right: Sonoma, CA  |  (up) Kushadasi, Turkey  |  (down) Messina, Sicily  |  San Francisco, CA  |  Nashville, TN  |  Chania, Crete  |  Orlando, FL  |  Ephesus, Turkey  |  Rome, Italy  |  (up) Nassau, Bahamas  |  (down) Athens, Greece  |  Bujumbura, Burundi

Mark and I coined 2013 as our "Year of Travel." Pumped to be married, no kiddos, two frugal people who are good at saving moo-lah AND love traveling...oh, and let's not forget to add a whole summer without work before we moved from Charlotte to Wilmington. It was the perfect recipe! We are very thankful that God carved out this irreplaceable, unique time for us to adventure and see the world together.
 
So...yes, travel is lovely. (Very lovely!) Eye-opening. Humbling. Out of our normal, safe, predictable comfort zones.

But...that's still not what this post is about! It's deeper than that. (Can you tell I don't like to keep things surface level!? Sheesh!) This post, "seeing His creation," is about shifting your perspective so that you see Him in everything


I'll say it again: this is about shifting your perspective so that you see Him in everything

EV-ER-Y-THING.

The Bible doesn't say that "some things were created by Him and for Him." No. It specifically says that "ALL things were created by Him and for Him."

The leaves changing color shout His glory.
The little one who is testing your patience was created by a King!
The acquaintance of yours who is driving you crazy...yep, that person was created in the image of God as well.
That big decision you feel anxious about.
The two-mile-long to do list staring at you.
The shirt on your back.
The hot coffee in your mug.
Every single grain of sand.
By Him.
For Him.

So what does all of this mean?

We have the opportunity to choose whether or not we will view the world as God's. What would happen if we were consistently intentional about shifting our perspective to view all things as made by Him and for Him?
 
If we choose to live our days seeing ourselves and our world created by Him and for Him...trusting that God works ALL things together for our good (see Romans 8:28)...well, there's just a lot of freedom in that.  A lot of freedom. A lot of peace. A lot of thanksgiving and gratefulness. All for His glory.

For by Him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through Him and for Him. 
Colossians 1:16

Happy Tuesday...shift your perspective. :)
 
And if you have any questions/thoughts about this subject, please don't hesitate to shoot me an email! I know sometimes big topics are a lot wrap our heads around. (And I am very aware that I can be confusing...especially in a post like this where I wanted to go on about 10,000 tangents regarding the Fall, sin, free will, new life etc.) Bottom line: I'd truly love to chat more with you about your faith/thoughts/questions! I'm only an email away! ;)
post signature

17 comments:

  1. You were not confusing at all. What a great reminder and truth! It is so easy to get caught up in our busy lives and miss all the God stops along the way, the intentional ways He is wooing us. But when we stop and look, we see it! Oh, and your trips look incredible! I'm happy y'all were able to do that before you start a family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Girl...I totally look forward to your posts as my morning "devotional." I will be sad when yours 31 days of being intentional are done but know you will keep us focused on what is important in life!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. holy moly! what a sweet thing to say!!! Glory to God on that one :)

      i promise i will!!! thank you for the encouragement. it keeps me motivated, and i take it straight to my heart, pretty lady! THANK YOU...cheers!!!

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  3. great post! This reminds me of the Laura Story song "Indescribable", I love when she says that all of creation's revealing his majesty and it's so true. How could you not see the glory of God when you see the beautiful places he has made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey pretty lady! I wanted you to know how much I love this post, and I'm looking forward to getting caught up on the others! You are such a wonderful light to other believers and nob-believers. Thank you for encouraging me!

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just what I needed after a tough weekend, thanks girl :) And what a fun year you had traveling, beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww. bless. you are so welcome. thank you Lord for the words!!
      and thank YOU!!

      xx
      elise

      Delete
  6. I love this post! It's so great to have a reminder of what it's all about and put it all back into perspective - especially when people are driving you a little nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't this the truth! Easy to remember on good days but so important to remind yourself on those "hard" days. I love that 2013 was your year of travel - this is what we have planned for 2014, a goal to go somewhere (big or small) each month! Your trips look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. elissseeeeee--loving this post. sooo jelly of all your travels this year! what an adventure for you guys :)

    cheers to many more!!

    Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post! So glad you found me and then I found you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post! Since we've been spending so much time on the water, without much else to do, I've definitely been taking more time to stop and reflect on the beauty of creation. But then I start to feel guilty about how much I took it all for granted when life was more chaotic. I hope this experience will help me to remember and appreciate, just as you said, all of the things that He has created, no matter what else is going on in my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! Such an important challenge to live every day.

    Best,
    Nicole, keepcalmandcocoon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks doll!!! totally the Holy Spirit at work in me!!
      just popped on over to your cutiepie blog! yay!!

      xx
      elise

      Delete