Thursday, October 8, 2015

One Room Challenge | Guest Bedroom Week 1

A day late and a dollar short, but it's on. The One Room Challenge: 6 weeks, hundreds of bloggers, and a room transformation for each participant to tackle. I've seen so many ladies and blogger friends agree to take on this challenge that I feel inspired to hop on board myself. Having moved into our home a few months ago, there are several rooms to choose from. We only have two rooms that are fairly "complete" thus far -- the nursery and the living room -- leaving me with lots of options. My pick? Honestly, I chose the guest room because it seems to be the least daunting task...it doesn't have other beautifully unique features that our house possesses such as pink tile, glitter mixed into paint on the walls, faux granite linoleum countertops, or a need that would cost way too much money right now (like 6 dining room chairs). Perhaps those other "special" selling points (seriously...the actual bits of glitter on my master bathroom walls...AHHHH) will be conquered in future One Room Challenges. Maybe. :)

Here is Week 1 of 6. What I really love about this intro week is that it's filled with the pictures people typically don't share: the messy, un-together parts of home. Social media is great. Let's be real, I totally love it (duh). But that picture perfect glimpse of life is only a small slice of the pie. So on that note, cheers to that the not so glamourous portion--the unorganized, chaotic, usual parts of life.

Welcome to our guest room...

 It doesn't seem too terribly bad at first glimpse (except that fixture--let's all agree that it's terrible), but honestly what bothers me most about it is it's just not "me." At all. Side note: for some reason, I intensely detest this little quilt/coverlet thing. The pattern is too formal looking and it just screams "great-great grandmother" to me. Bleh.

 Oh, hello piles of things that don't have a space yet in our home!

 Meh.

 I love this little guy. Obviously a well loved pillow. TLC needed ASAP.

The tupperware bin underneath = my shoes. And though I don't mind this antique secretary, I prefer more symmetry in my nightstands choices, so that needs to move.

 Random nesting tables. No good reason/purpose for them there.

 Okay, behind that "bigger" closet (peculiar closet and a half, I know) is a just-throw-it-in-there massive pile of hospital bills, mail, HUD statements, and various other paperwork we collected while we lived at my mama's for 5 months. It MUST be looked through and filed properly into the file cabinet in that corner nook. Also to do: make that craigslist file cabinet look less lame because that's really the only good spot for it in our home.

 On top of our file cabinet? Toiletries I haven't unpacked from England, clothes, tangled jewelry, koozies (random), and other various junk.

Mission: declutter, reorganize, add some modern elements, and find a design scheme that is "me." The dark furniture throws me off, but I want to try to pull it together and have something not light that's still my style. It's going to be an interesting task finding my taste in dark wood, but gosh darnit I am going to try!!! Here is my [p]inspiration. 

1 | 2 | 3 | 4


1 | The white bed linens totally lighten up the dark wood, don't they?! Love. Also digging the art above the bed. You know the nightstand symmetry is my jam too. That casual throw over the bench makes the room look so cozy and inviting, doesn't it?

2 | Again: white bed, art above, symmetrical nightstands. Love, love, love. I guess these should be staples in my redesign?

3 | Same idea but flanked art and sunburst mirror. Oooooo. :) 

4 | I love the crisp lines in this room. It reminds me that I still want to bring a flair of modern to work alongside the traditional antique pieces I already have. ...I just realized that each of these pictures has a bench at the foot of the bed. Perhaps I should incorporate that too...?

TO DO LIST
Find/purchase/thrift: curtain rods, curtains, matching/similar nightstands, white bedding, art for above the bed (?), lamps, a chair (?), a bench (?)
Declutter/sell/find a place for/get rid of ALL JUNK
Replace fixture
Actually organize and file the monster pile of papers in the closet
Makeover the file cabinet
Repair H pillow


Alright, y'all. It's game time. I am pumped to make this room over!

Be sure to visit all other bloggers who are participating in this 6 week challenge. Let's all root each other on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment