Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Story of Our First Home

On January 6 of this year, I wrote about my season of surrender. It was time for me to relinquish control and embrace life without a timeline. When we surrender, we give God control. We trust that His ways are always good (and better than our ways).

I did not expect this next season of our lives to come so soon. But don't you just love it when God shows up and shows off!? That's what he did for us with the story of our first home.

We are thrilled (surprised and bewildered) to announce that Mark and I will become homeowners on April 3, 2014! 

I want to be intentional about recording how this happened...because I want to look back at this in years to come to rejoice in God's faithfulness, His leading, and His perfect timing. This is our first time home-buying story. It's an unreal and unusual one for sure. I have been keeping it under wraps for what feels like so long (and super hard for an open book like myself), so I am over the moon to finally share it!

[Scroll if you prefer The Abridged Version...seriously :)]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, February 27, 2014
Mark was out of town in Chicago for work. I was home alone...looking at houses online while I couldn't fall asleep. My frequent visits to Trulia.com (up until this point) never really meant we were seriously looking at houses. I inherited the looking-at-houses-online-is-fun hobby from my mom. It's like scrolling through Pinterest to me. (Thanks for that, Mama.)

I saw a house in our dream neighborhood that seemed attainable for us in price. And that just didn't make sense because our dream neighborhood here in Wilmington was just that to us...a dream. Not reality.

I picked up Mark from the airport around midnight that night/early Friday morning and showed him the online listing when we got home. We never thought that we could remotlely afford a house in this dream neighborhood of ours anytime soon [or ever?!]. When I asked Mark if I should text a realtor friend of ours (the dad of the kiddos I nanny for!) about the listing in the morning, Mark was quick to say, "Why not? We could at least go look at it."

Friday, February 28, 2014
I texted Matt (now our realtor!) that morning and asked him if the house was worth looking at or if it was priced that low for a reason. I was totally ready for him to affirm a bad, deal-breaker reason for the unusually low list price. Let's just say that later that afternoon, we had a viewing scheduled. Eeee! Everything was happening so fast yet so perfectly.

Our first look at our soon to be first home.
I'm sure Marky will have a miniature garden growing back here shortly.
Mark and I are decisive by nature. We looked around the house, and before we left, we told Matt that we wanted to put in an official offer. By that evening, our paperwork was complete. Signing all 25+ of those pages was a new level of "Whoa. This is what it feels like to be a grown up."

Before delivering our offer paperwork circa 10:30PM. Mark was so excited to document this grown-up moment in our life. ;)
Saturday, March 1, 2014
We got a text from Matt that our offer was in. He spoke to the other realtor, and we were set to hear something later in the day or tomorrow at the latest.

I left for Raleigh a little later for a bridal shower, calling some of my besties on the road to tell them what had just happened (so quickly and unexpectedly!). After the shower was over, I looked at my phone and saw some texts from Mark. They countered. We accepted. We were verbally under contract! (And go, hubby, go being our manly leader and pulling the trigger for us!!!)

As I got home from Raleigh later that evening, we filled out the paperwork for our new purchase price and rushed it over so we could be officially under contract. There were 3 other showings that day, so beating the clock made me a little wary...but, at the same time, I knew this was all God's doing. I trusted His timing and the way he was orchestrating this crazy adventure for us.

At 11:11 PM (Only noted because it was 11:11! Don't say you haven't made a wish and kissed the clock.), Matt texted Mark and I with the news that the other realtor received our paperwork, and the house was now officially pending...MLS status changed...officially under contract! WOOOOHOO!

The Abridged Version
In 36 hours we:
 inquired about one home in Wilmington, 
had a viewing, 
put in an offer, 
and went under contract.
How does that happen so quickly and flawlessly?! And easily?
And with a this-doesn't-even-make-sense price for our dream neighborhood?
Thank you, Lord. This one is all about You.
Thank you for showing up and showing off. :)
We are so excited to grow our roots deeper into this wonderful town.
 (...And with the ocean 2 miles away.)

Source // Ephesians 3:20


Cheers to our first home...glory to God!
 

62 comments:

  1. So happy for your guys! God is so amazing and so are you and your love! oxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoooo!!!! Love this sissy! Can't wait to visit :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you but totally crazy jealous! We've been looking for months - and the right thing hasn't hit yet! I'm trying to be patient, but it's not always easy! Excited for you!! Can't wait to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!!! It looks so amazing. And the story is His. I'm actually writing (or I already wrote it for Tuesday) on my struggle with surrender. But god is sooo good. Xo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! It looks beautiful, can't wait to see more. God is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty home! Congrats!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beyond thrilled for you, friend!!! Your new home looks gorgeous! Can't wait to see more pics! Our home buying experience was a God story as well! You will LOVE getting to reflect back (like you said) on his faithfulness and perfect timing!!! It makes it even more special when you can do that! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! That moved really fast! Congrats! What a big change in ya'll's life but that's super exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so exciting! it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Such an exciting time! That is awesome :) When we got our house people thought we didn't look enough because we decided so quickly. When you know you know! Congratulations on this exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So excited for you!! Such a wonderful story! I can't wait to see what you do with the place!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elise!!! SO happy for you and the hubby! Love when God's timing and plan just comes together! Can't wait to see how you decorate this beautiful house! WEEEE!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elise! This is fabulous! The house is gorgeous, and I love hearing how God blesses people with the unexpected. We had a very similar story just shy of 2 years ago. We're still not sure how we ended up with such a dream house, but we pray frequently that the home will be used to God's glory alone. I pray the same for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful home! Congrats!!! It's truly a great feeling purchasing your first home and getting to decorate it however you want. This should keep you busy for a while haha..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I MUCH prefer the long version!! So happy for you and Mark, sweet girl! That is soooo exciting! God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So happy for ya'll! We just signed the paperwork for our first home last Friday. Our story like yours was a whirlwind! Fun & exciting time for sure!! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't tell you how excited I am! Pretty sure I've driven past that house a few times! Can't wait to see you and Mark make your home there! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. So exciting, congrats!! Love seeing how God is present here and love how you just went for it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow this just spoke to my heart! I needed to hear this today. I am struggling and this post has lifted my spirits. Thank you for that! I visited Wilmington a while back for a wedding and I feel in love with the city. So picturesque! I am thrilled for you and your hubby! Cannot wait to see more photos of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So exciting!! The Lord is always so faithful and it is such a neat thing to be reminded that He truly does deeply desire to give GOOD GIFTS to his children and sometimes those gifts are tangible real life things! Yay for home ownership! :) much love!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! It looks beautiful! Soon your life will be filled with trips to home depot and more time on pinterest than you ever thought possible!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love home buying stories! March 30 makes 2 years since I bought my first home and it still feels surreal! Congratulations girl!

    champagenandsuburbs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats! You're so going to love it!!! So exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This could not be a more perfect example of His timing!!! SO SO happy for y'all!!! And can't wait to see more pics xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations!!! What an exciting time! The house is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The house looks gorgeous! Ahhh I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats!! Our story was so similar - one day we were just casually looking and the next we were reserving a lot and building a house! It's an exciting time - enjoy every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats!!! So exciting! Drew & I are nowhere near buying a home yet but we love looking at homes for fun!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a gorgeous home!! Congratulations!! I remember the day we closed on our house - it was SOO exciting and so grown up feeling :)) Can't wait to see more pictures of it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations! This quote from your post made me stop and smile: "But don't you just love it when God shows up and shows off!?" I loved that!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congrats!! This is hugely exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. How exciting!! Congrats! :) PS, it throws me off every time you post a current picture, because I imagine you blonde, like you are in your profile pic.
    Excited to see posts about you turning your house into a home!! :)

    ashleynicoleholmes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congrats! How exciting. Love how close it is to the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is so amazing! So happy for you! We had a staff thought on surrendering today and the line was 'the battle is yours' from the worship song Stand Up. I needed your story of His perfect timing!

    Can't wait to see your home posts that are sure to follow! x

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is so amazing! So happy for you! We had a staff thought on surrendering today and the line was 'the battle is yours' from the worship song Stand Up. I needed your story of His perfect timing!

    Can't wait to see your home posts that are sure to follow! x

    ReplyDelete
  36. What an amazing story! And what a blessing in disguise! God sure does work in mysterious ways! So happy for you! Congrats on being a home owner!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congrats!! So excited for you! I love how everything happens for a reason, just as this house and timing happened for you.

    ReplyDelete
  38. We acted the same way with our new place. We knew what we were hoping to find and when it came up on the market(it had been up 2 days when we looked at it) we knew we had to snatch it up. Our offer was in by lunch the next day, they didn't counter so it was pending by that afternoon! I keep pinching myself like oh holy cow. I can't believe we went and did this!!!

    All of that to say....congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Congratulations, Elise!! It is absolutely beautiful!! Such a perfect story illustrating God's faithfulness and goodness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Congratulations!! How exciting! It looks beautiful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  41. EEEEEEEEEK! SO STINKIN HAPPY FOR YALL!

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a wonderful story. Praise the Lord!!! Cannot wait to see ALL of the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Congratulations! that is so wonderful and like they say - dreams really do come true!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Yay!! Homeownership is so much fun! I am excited to follow along on your journey - seeing as my husband and I just went through a similar journey I know exactly how you feel. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. How exciting!!!!!! Congratulations!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  46. So excited for you two! You deserve nothing but the best!! Congratulations on this new addition!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Congratulations, doll!:) What an amazing story and how EXCITING! You will love having your own home to decorate and do what you want with. So happy for you guys! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Congratulations girly! So exciting! Can't wait to follow along on the adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. So happy and excited for you!!! God is good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I have been DYING to go to Wilmington, NC!!! Were you ever a fan of the show One Tree Hill? :) It looks like the cutest little town!

    - www.meyouandhayleylarue.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love that first picture, Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  52. So exciting! Congrats!!! Can't wait to see more pictures of this gorgeous house!

    ReplyDelete
  53. congratulations! that is soo exciting. buying our first home was a very quick experience like you guys had. hopefully everything going smoothly with your inspection and what not!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Congrats sweet friend! I Can't wait to see pictures and I so want to visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. Oh my goodness, congrats beautiful! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete