Thursday, October 23, 2014

Pure Barre Pregnancy | 1st Trimester


Technically this picture was taken in the 2nd trimester because I didn't think of creating this post series until then...but it'll work. Unless you consider the 13 weeks still in the first trimester?! It's all a bit confusing. ;) The above is my leeeettle (but quickly growing!) bump at 13 weeks 1 day...can you see it?! I love it. Hi, little babe!
 
 
 
Is Pure Barre safe during pregnancy?
Yes! With modifications. And if your body is used to it pre-pregnancy. I am so thankful to have started Pure Barre before pregnancy because I can't imagine a better workout for my growing body and this growing babe! I hear a strong core is super good for labor (and bounce back!), and that's what PB is all about!
 
Are you doing things that might throw off your balance?
My doc (who didn't know much about PB) asked me this one. I told her I was more likely to fall over jogging--or walking, let's be real--on a sidewalk than losing my balance at Pure Barre. I'm a clumsy human, but guess what? At Pure Barre, you can use the barre for balance. Genius, I know. Moral of the story: as clumsy as I am, I don't worry for a sec about falling/losing my balance during class.

When did you tell your PB teachers?
When I went in for my pregnancy confirmation appointment at 5 weeks, I was told that I didn't need to tell just yet as long as I had been doing similar workouts before pregnancy. I told my teachers at 9 weeks and got a lovely packet of modifications with color pictures too!

What modifications did you use?
Not too many through this first trimester, to be honest. I've stopped twisting in abs because I know I'm not supposed to rotate in that way. Other than that, the only thing I've had to be more aware of is getting up really slowly. With an increased blood flow/more hormones, I really do get dizzy [a lot more easily!] if I stand up too fast. So that's the only thing I've really had to watch out for! Oh! I use the ball behind my back during abs for extra support too.
 
I'm also careful about my heart rate...but this didn't really affect me till the tail-end of my 1st trimester. When my heart is beating super fast after the 1st or 2nd thigh sprint, for example, I'll make sure to take a few extra moments and a sip of water before starting thigh sprint #3. It's all about listening to your body!
 
I know a lot more modifications are coming my way in the next little bit, so I'll fill y'all in after my second trimester!
 
How many times a week did you attend class?
I feel like I "slacked" a little (just in my eyes!) though this first trimester because my energy was zonked. Pre-pregnancy I attended class anywhere from 5-7 days a week. Though this first trimester I averaged at about 4 times a week. I'm hoping to step my game back up for trimester 2 as I hear it's the most smooth sailing trimester of all--the "honeymoon trimester"--until the discomfort and tiredness come back in full force for trimester 3!
 
 
 
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or medical professional; moreover, I am speaking from my own personal experience. Please talk to your doctor and Pure Barre studio owner(s) before taking class through your pregnancy. :)
 
 
Cheers to a Pure Barre Pregnancy!
...More to come after the 2nd trimester! 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment