Monday, October 6, 2014

On Saying "No"

Via
Saying no. It's not as tough for me as it once was. I have to admit, I've become better at saying no without feeling guilty -- guarding time for my family. And this weekend was one of those weekends. Unfortunately, we missed out on some events that I know I would have absolutely adored attending. But sometimes you just have to listen to that little voice inside your head and and say no. 

We traveled to Charlotte last weekend and had the best time visiting our friends and family. And we have two more jam packed (full of fun, nonetheless!) weekends coming up. So instead of filling this past one too...we said "no." Even though I still hated missing out and wished I could be with friends of mine as I saw their gorgeous pictures pop up on Instagram (owning it!)...I know that "no" was still the right choice for us.

Via

This little quote has been floating its way around social media, and I love it. These words epitomize my day yesterday. Yesterday affirmed our choice to stay in town this weekend. It was a day full of peaceful productivity and quality family time.

To me, Sunday, October 4, 2014, was perfect.
We slept in (till 9:30!).
I made Mark a quick breakfast, and he headed to his soccer game.
And went to Pure Barre.
Came home and meal planned.
And we watched the Panthers (which was a fabulous game to watch!) as a family.
Went on a quick, 2 mile family walk at halftime. 
Did laundry during the 2nd half of the game.
Took a bath.
Went to church. 
Signed up to attend Dave Ramsey class together on finances. 
Came home and ate dinner (that had been cooking all day!). And dessert.
And now here I am typing.
Next I'll probably make some tea, we'll watch a few episodes of The Office, and call it a day.
(Does anyone else watch the series of The Office and then start it all over again when it's over? We do.)

Obviously, yesterday was nothing novel or super eventful. And that was just what I needed. Though I will love and adore these next couple of weekends of joyous festivities and celebrations, this weekend, I just needed to say "no" and press "recharge" -- as a family. Because I want to be intentional about spending quality time together.

What about you? How do you set boundaries for your family? Do you struggle with saying "no?"

No comments:

Post a Comment