Thursday, June 5, 2014

My Favorite Place on Earth

Elizabeth Scott Photography
I always get nostalgic at this time of year. Once late May hits, my mind drifts to an excited bunch of counselors who are heading to the sunny shores of Lake Wylie, SC, to begin staff week. Summer camp is about to begin.

Would I go back to high school if I could? No.
College? Not a chance.
Camp? In a heartbeat.

I spent 7 summers as a camper and 5 summers as a counselor at Camp Thunderbird, my favorite place on Earth.
More than anywhere else in the world, camp shaped who I am and who I continue to become.
Camp taught me some of the best yet simplest lessons.

 I learned...


YG love <3
Camp taught me that public speaking really isn't that bad at all...

RIP Central House
You can't beat a good old fashioned prank...

Top: Summer 1998 as campers in Cabin 27 | Bottom L: Cabin 1 cos as Oompa Loompas | Bottom R: YG Staff 2008
And silly is not an option. In fact, it's cool. Embrace it.

Christmas in July | Cabin 24 | Summer 2003
 Camp taught me that creativity is a must...Christmas tree? Snowballs? Snowman? Merry Christmas in July.
 
When considering becoming a kindergarten teacher, camp had me sold (and more prepared than I could've imagined) in a second.

Life is better without makeup. With little sleep. And a constant state of sweat. Even when the lake feels like bath water.

Summer 2007
I learned that there will never be a better place to celebrate the 4th of July than as a counselor on Lake Wylie...

Sail Beach 2007
...And little things like head/back scratches are worth their weight in gold.

Cabin 1 co-counselors 2007
1 day at camp is like 1 week or 1 month in the real world.
You get to know (and dearly love) the people you're around in lightening speed since you live, dine, and work with them 24/7....
 
Cabin 1 Session 5 2007
The person sleeping in Cabin 35's top bunk beside you might be come your best friend, co-counselor, and bridesmaid.

Top L: The summer we finally "met"/interacted...2008. | Top R: Our Engagement Pictures | Bottom: Some of the TBird crew at our wedding
...And maybe, if you least expect it, your seemingly fleeting summer camp romance
 just might turn into one heck of a fun, crazy, amazing marriage


I couldn't love, appreciate, and admire camp more.
Yet all of this only scratches the surface.
I learned more about myself (good and bad) at camp than anywhere else.
Camp gave me countless lifelong friendships.
And one day, Mark and I look forward to driving our kiddos down 1 Thunderbird Lane with a car full of trunks in the back.

P.S. Mom and Dad, thank you--immeasurably and always--for giving me the gift of camp.

Happy almost summer...take me back to camp!
 
 
Pop on over to Mia's blog...my lovely June sponsor! :) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment