Thursday, November 21, 2013

DIY Christmas Banner [for under $5]

Yes, that's right. I started decorating last weekend. Started!...I haven't finished yet. Mostly because Mark wanted to watch football, and I cannot bear decorating without blaring Christmas music throughout the house. ;)

I was most excited about getting our mantel set up. So that, of course, is where I began.


Y'all know I'm always up for a good deal. I found a great one for you to recreate for your mantels!!! It's super easy...thanks to a magical thing called gold glitter stickers. Here's how I did it!

Supplies
string/yarn
scrapbook paper (or your backing of choice)
gold glitter sticker letters (I got mine at Michaels)
scissors
tape


I chose this scrapbook paper from Michaels because of the gold pattern...and mostly because there was a sale on scrapbook paper. But more on the price stuff later! ;) There are sooo many different paper options to choose from! A close 2nd to this one was a cute paper with Christmas trees in the background!! And 3rd was alternating between red and green paper...but I couldn't part with my current gold obsession.

Instructions
1. Choose your cutout shape. I used triangles for our fall banner, so I chose this flag-like pattern for our Chrismas banner.
2. Trace the pattern onto the scrapbook paper keeping each flag as close together as possible.
3. Cut!
4. Use the beautiful, sparkly gold stickers to spell whichever phrase you choose! (But check on the back of the pack first to make sure there are enough letters for your creation! For instance, I used up all of the pack's Rs for meRRy chRistmas!
5. Use tape to connect the paper with the yarn. Space evenly between the yarn, leaving extra room at the ends for hanging.
6. Hang that beauty! Merry, merry!! 


 Our Christmas mantel! Next to-do: hang the stockings!

Now onto the price deets...because we don't want to spend over $5, do we?! :)

- I got the scrapbook paper 6 pieces for $1 on sale at Michael's. I only used 3 pieces! The regular price is .60 cents.
- The gold letters were $5.99 (eek!) BUT I used my 40% off 1 item coupon. This week they upped it to 50% one item! So go get those letters! I usually just google "Michaels coupon" on my phone at the store, and the cashier rings up the coupon straight from my phone. You can also find the 50% off coupon here.
- I already had the string from my fall banner, so there was no spending there! 

Here is the grand total...as proven by the receipt! WOOHOO!


Make sure to share your pictures with me if you create a lovely Christmas banner yourself!! Can't wait to see your creations, lovelies!!!
post signature

41 comments:

  1. love love love!!!! I will have to save this for next year, I made a bigger banner for above our fireplace

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing I can't believe this was made for under $5!! I had to see the receipt to believe you! It's super cute and easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elise, these are SO beautiful! I'm sad I don't have a home to really decorate this year, but I'll be taking all your beautiful inspirations to heart for next year! That's just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elise - I LOVE the banner!! I am so glad you shared this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute & creative!!! (and you can't beat that price) I see a Michaels trip in my weekend plans. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yayyyyy! you just musttt share the pics with me if you make one!! christmas decor never gets old to me and makes me giddy. ;)
      can't wait!!!!! xx

      Delete
  6. Very good idea! Super cute for super cheap! That's my kind of décor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! Looks so much more expensive than just $4.87:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! It came out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so going to do this myself this weekend! So cute, so easy! Just lovely, Elise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable! My mantle is home to similar sparkly reindeers. I will definitely be heading to Michaels this afternoon. I'm also glad we share the same view on decorating, Christmas music is a must. Can't wait to see more it's adorable, Elise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute!! Your mantel looks great - can't wait to see the rest of the house! I'm starting decorating this weekend too!! I am SO excited, I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas decorating makes me giddy!!!! SOOO excited for the BOTH of us!!! ;) :) :) :) :) :) EEEEE!
      xx

      Delete
  12. Oh me your mantle is gorgeous!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this! The one thing I want when I move into a real house from our apartment is a fireplace with a mantle! They are just adorable! This is awesomely cheap and it looks so good! We are decorating on Sunday and I can hardly contain myself with excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the banner! I will have to check out those glitter letters.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! For taping the paper on the yarn, did you fold over at the top and tape paper onto paper or use some kind of double stick tape??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweet Katie!!! :) I kept it super simple and didn't fold. Just taped it right on with good ol scotch tape at the tip top of the flag cutouts. I would send you a pic, but I'm not at home right now!! If you look at the fall banner pictures (the link is above) I did the same thing there...just used masking tape with those since it was burlap. But same idea!! xx

      Delete
  16. So cute!
    I need to go buy those gold glitter letters!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it and your white brick fireplace!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks great, and so easy!! Love your decorating style! I would love to put this up but I fear the toddler tornado would tear it down in 0.2 seconds! ! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl!! Easy and inexpensive are my go-tos. Always!! :)
      xx

      Delete
  19. LOVE it!!! We're decorating on Saturday and I was just thinking--we're going to have to start early because Chris will definitely try to shut off my Christmas music when football starts. HA! Anyway, now you've got me all excited about decorating our mantle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahhh, love this!! I need those gold letters in my life! Also, I'm with ya on the Christmas music while decorating :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I must do this! Thanks for the instructions and inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE, love it!! Awesome job my dear friend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely loving this! I mighttt just have to create my own! xo
    A Southern Style

    ReplyDelete
  24. you're so cute--i'm going to have to create my own!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this! I've been thinking about a banner I want to add to my mantle...I love the idea of stickers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am OBSESSED with this idea!!! Thank you for sharing your creativity with us! I can't wait to try this! XOXO! Lesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAYYYY! You just have to share pics with me when you make it!!!! Christmas decor makes me giddy!!! :) :) Can't wait to see, lovely lady! EEEEE! YAYAYAY! xx

      Delete
  27. Oh my goodness I am so grateful that you shared this. I have been telling Jon everyday that I was a Christmas banner, but I can't find any cheaper than $25 and to make one out of wooden letters was going to cost $25 and here you go getting all creative and making my heart happy. Swoon! Thank you, dollface. You've made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this, Elise! I'm helping host an engagement party this weekend, and will be definitely using this banner idea! xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. A-ma-zing!!! I'm obsessed with how cute this banner is and I really want to run to Michael's right now and make my own... thanks so much for sharing such a great, easy idea! :)

    xo Always, Abby

    ReplyDelete