Friday, May 8, 2015

The First Week

April 24, 2015  marks the best day of my life. The 6 days that followed were just as precious. There are a myriad of little moments I want to remember. Here I am typing this on day 13, and I fear I'm already forgetting some of them. This time of innocent tiny-ness and learning each other is so fleeting. So to help me remember, sweet Nancy, here are just a few of the things we want to always remember about the first 7 days of your life and the best 7 days of ours.

You started melting your daddy before you were even born. He bought a selfie stick to use at the hospital to FaceTime with our family in England. He is never one to be picture oriented or social media savvy, so to my surprise, he started taking videos right when we checked into triage at the hospital for your arrival. His excitement was tangible. He loves taking pictures of you. He loves you so much and is so proud you're his girl.
Nancy, I remember looking around in the delivery room and seeing it filled with our family. All of these people--here for you. I remember fighting back the tears and saying a prayer of thankfulness that God moved mountains to move us back home to Charlotte before your birth day. I felt overwhelmed with gratitude at that moment to be at home--to make the Queen City your hometown too. Family is everything. 


Family at the hospital before and when you were born: Mimi, Auntie Hope, Uncle Eric, Grandmimi, Chief, Uncle Spyros, and Chuckles 
Visitors at the hospital: "Abuelo" (what we think you'll be calling my dad!), Cameron (who took the most beautiful pictures of our family about 15 hours after you were born!),  Aunt Coley, Great Aunt Sarah, and Aunt Mal, Uncle Kyle, & Harper
Visitors at home (some a little past week one): The Hood Family (Sammy, Jane, William, Katherine, and Eleanor), Lindsay Taylor, Aunt Lizzie and Uncle Luke, Katherine (Tootle), Sally and Louise Wyche, Ashley (Munchkin), Aunt Ashley and Uncle William, Ensley 
Piglet. You snort when you cry or when you're hungry and looking for food. It's the cutest thing ever. You will forever be our little piggy piglet. Your cry says "neigh" like a little horse too. So you're our little piglet horse. We never knew baby cries could melt our hearts like yours does. It's just so precious. 
And you don't really cry that much at all. You're a chill baby. I have been told by about 5-6 different people now (some who know me well and others who we just met) that you're so relaxed and content because I am [apparently] a chill and relaxed mom. I appreciate that nod. It works for us both. I think it's just because I feel at peace knowing that this is exactly what God put me on Earth to do: be a mommy to you and your future brother(s) and sister(s).
When the doctors put you on my chest a few minutes after you were born (you had to be evaluated by the peds team first), the first thing you did was grab my cross necklace. Precious one. I prayed for you to know Jesus early in your life right then. My sweet, sweet baby girl clung to the cross that first moment we met. I love you so much. God loves you so much. And I've prayed (and will keep praying) everyday that you know Jesus intimately and follow Him early in your life.
The two words I kept thinking over and over in my head the day you were born were "peaceful" and "calm." That was you! Little baby, you stayed up for five hours after you were born just looking around and taking everything in. You couldn't sleep! You just wanted to soak in all the goodness of the world. I love you for that. My calm, peaceful baby just taking it all in. Bless you!
You love skin to skin. You love just to be close to your mommy. Sometimes you'll cry for a second not because you're hungry, but just because you want to be close to me. I'm a puddle of tears just typing that. You wreck me. You are my dream come true, Nancy.
I always want to remember our 2nd night at the hospital. We slept skin to skin for some of the night, and when I was up with you at 4am you were so alert...so happy...so calm and peaceful. We just stared at each other. I cried just looking at you. (And crying now just thinking about it!) My heart was just so overwhelmed to have us studying and learning each other. I remember thinking, "I've never loved the 4am hour more in my life." It was so quiet. It felt special having time that was just ours.
The things Daddy says. Oh, how I've loved listening to your daddy talk to you this week. The way I love him has skyrocketed in depth and intricacy as I watch him be your daddy. (Above) "I wanna kiss you! I wanna kiss you!" | "Hi beautiful/beautiful angel/my little princess!" | "Us having Nancy makes me think of all the babies in the world without mommies and daddies..." (Love his heart and can so picture us adopting a little brother or sister for you one day.) | "I'm so glad you get to stay at home and take care of her." | "She's just so cute and perfect." | "Daddy loves you so much." | "I missed you so much while I was at work." | "I can't imagine life without her." 
And the songs Daddy has been mindlessly singing on repeat recently are "Isn't She Lovely" and "Here Comes the Sun (Little Darling)" ... they no doubt are prompted by looking at you, his little girl! Speaking of songs, while we were at Presbyterian Hospital with you to treat your bilirubin, Daddy decided that he wants you to listen to "good music." At that moment, we declared the Van Morrison station on Pandora as your favorite. A little bit later, this moment happened. I started at y'all staring at each other and just cried. You two overwhelm my heart with joy and purpose.
That trip back to the hospital to treat your bilirubin levels was unexpected. But you know what? It was precious time for our little family. After the hustle bustle of everything, your daddy and I guarded that time as just the three of us. As much as we didn't want to have you there in that light box, it was the perfect time for us to just be still and love each other. Us three.
Places We Went: The doctor's office (a few times), Home Depot, Presbyterian Hospital, lactation consultant, Cotswold Marketplace, Harris Teeter
We went on a couple family walks too. It's nice to have time with just the three of us since we're living at your Mimi's house right now. (P.S. Your Mimi is the best, and it has honestly been a breeze being there. And the biggest help. But it's nice to get some alone time and chat with just us.)
Your pup sister Amelia. She loves you. I have to admit, I thought she would be indifferent and/or jealous. She has blown us all away. She loves to be near you. She is so interested in you and so loving towards you. I underestimated her sweetness tenfold.
Cameron Faye Photography
Your hair! Oh, your hair! We cannot get over it. I just knew you'd be a baldie. When you came out, the nurses thought you might be a little ginger. Turns out your hair was so bleach blonde, it just looked a little strawberryish till you were cleaned off. The blonde just wrecks me. And your blonde eyebrows and eyelashes...ohh bless them! 
I'm certain you were born at just the right time. The perfect day. I'd been rooting for your Auntie Hope's birthday on April 25, but God had a better plan in mind--as He always does. Since you were born on April 24, we had the absolute most incredible doctor and nurse team. Our L&D nurse, Colleen, was our angel throughout the day. She even stayed for the next shift to be with you and I for delivery. Colleen is a true angel and someone we'll continue to stay in touch with. The doctor who delivered you, Dr. Brown, was my kind of lady too. A hugger, someone I immediately trusted, and she even gave me a kiss on the cheek after your birth. I adored Dr. Brown and Colleen and know that we had them as a result of God's perfect timing. Also -- your auntie pointed out that she's glad she got to spend her whole birthday holding you instead of waiting, waiting for you to be born. Lastly, if you weren't born on that Friday, Cameron wouldn't have been able to come to the hospital to come take your newborn pictures since she was heading out of town that Saturday evening. So yes...thanks for coming at the perfect time, little Nancy. 
The way you came out with your little fists balled up. You love for your hands to be like that constantly. 
Cameron Faye Photography
Your wrinkly forehead. You came out with fine lines. You get that from mommy. Sorry, baby. We're just expressive. And proud of it. :)
Your lankiness! Mommy and Daddy are tall, but neither of us is lanky. You sure are a cute lanky girl though. Long legs, long fingers, long toes. Bless, bless, bless. And with those long little legs, you LOVE to kick out of your swaddle and stretch out. You love, love, love it. Our little kicker, Daddy can't wait to be your first soccer coach.


Nancy means "grace," and that's what you are to us -- an undeserved, unmerited gift. You are so loved, cherished, and adored little Nancy girl. God loves you, and so do we. So indescribably much.

Her Name
I love you forever,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment