Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Best Veggie Chili Ever (and the Secret Ingredient for ALL Chili!)

Brace yourselves, y'all, because I'm about to share my favorite go-to chili with you. It's literally as easy as throwing it all into a pot.



Lizzie made this when Mark and I were visiting her little family in Mount Airy, and I of course had her send me the recipe. I have since forwarded that recipe on multiple times. It's that good!

See if you can spot the secret ingredient...
(Or call me out on my lack of knowing about the secret ingredient in delicious chili.)

Ingredients
- 1 (19oz) can black bean soup
- 1 (15oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16oz) can vegetarian baked beans
- 1 (14.5oz) can chopped tomato puree
- 1 (15oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, dried oregano, dried basil, brown sugar

Instructions
Add all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook for at least 2 hours on high. Serve with chips, shredded cheddar cheese, and sour cream.

---------------------------------
 
Change up the recipe to your liking. For example, I leave out the celery since I'm not a big celery fan. And (much to my dismay) the hubby isn't an onion fan, so this past time I left that out. Instead...I just added another can of black beans.
 
Boom. How easy is that?

 Yep! This was a preview from Insta that you might've caught on Sunday.

I mean...I couldn't bear to be cooking in the kitchen with football, The Bachelor, AND Downton Abbey back-to-back-to-back that night. ;) Speaking of back-to-back-to back, I've eaten the leftover chili for 3 nights in a row now. Cold weater = chili weather.
And the secret ingredient...!?!?
Brown sugar! I give it a heaping tablespoon. 
I will forever use that little weapon in every pot of chili I make forever! 
Have ya'll used that in your chili before or have I spent most of my life under a rock out of the kitchen?

Now go visit my lovely sponsor, Khala!
The Birdie Bowl

25 comments:

  1. This chili looks so yummy!! Perfect for the cold temps we've all been having. Anything made in the crock pot is gold in my book! I would never think to add brown sugar to chili but I bet it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! I'm bookmaking this for later!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! My mom also adds a chopped zucchini to hers..sounds odd but it adds the BEST texture after being in the crockpot.

    I'll have to try the brown sugar! (Thanks for the idea for a future blog post...wink wink)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That chili sounds so delish!! I have never used brown sugar in my crock pot chili's but may have to now...usually i just follow the directions on the back of those chili packets haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good I seriously want to run out to the store right now and get the missing ingredients I need! I love vegetarian chili but my husband HAS to have meat in his (he usually makes it, haha), but this I will definitely try out!

    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh and I have been trying SO hard to change our eating habits (not on a diet, just making some changes!) This sounds so delicious, but still healthy for you! Thanks for posting girl, you never fail me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delish! And brown sugar...absolutely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!!! That chili looks delicious! I haven't tried a veggie chili before and I hope Mr. Walker will give it a try. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl! I actually made this chili (minus your sweet secret ingredient) a few weeks back and loved it! My meat-lovin' husband even requested that we have it again, which you know means something. Love it! Happy Wednesday love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. THE best recipe for these crazy cold evenings! AND I've been craving chili! YUM!!
    Have a fabulous rest of the week doll!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chili is one of my favorites to make! And I have never added brown sugar! I will definitely have to try it! :-) Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH my that looks awesome! As soon as i saw it on Instagram I knew i wanted the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm intrigued by this brown sugar idea; I will have to try it in my next batch of chili! And now I'm craving chili so that will probably happen soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. PERFECT winter evening! I want to try this chili recipe now- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooo I love me a good chili!! Making this over the weekend - thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been wanting a go-to recipe for chili forever! It's been so chilly too (pun intended haha) so this is perfect! Thanks for sharing, love! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is brilliant to start with a soup base...trying this tomorrow! I'll let you know how it goes. ;)
    www.wearflowersinyourhair.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chili is a must when it is so cold out! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks and sounds amazing! Perfect for my veggie and bean loving heart! Pinned it already :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks and sounds amazing! Perfect for my veggie and bean loving heart! Pinned it already :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made guinness chili tonight - and the recipe called for brown sugar - the first time I've used it. Turned out great. Yours sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. YUM!! We were so close to doing chili this week but opted for some crab tomato soup for ease. But I've never put cinnamon in my chili- I'll definitely have to try!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I use brown sugar and cocoa powder! They are amazing in chili!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks amazing! My secret chili ingredient is peanut butter. Try it - the final product is AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks amazing! My secret chili ingredient is peanut butter. Try it - the final product is AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete