Tuesday, January 28, 2014

NOLA Trip

Hello, hello from NC! I am back after my fabulous trip to see my childhood bestie and her hubby!! Get ready for all the deets [with the help of a picture overload]. Here it goes!

 My flight from ILM left at 5:29 A.M., which put me in CLT in time to see the most beautiful sunrise I've ever seen in my life...with my lovely hometown in in the background. Bless. I know I am a goob when it comes to happy tears, but watching this and thinking about the greatness, the vastness, and the glory of God...I couldn't help but tear up.
"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims His handiwork." Psalm 19:1

SATURDAY 
Here I am!!! NOLA! I kind of started crying when Ashley picked me up because I was that excited to see her. We hadn't seen each other in 6 months, and that's just weird for us. Happy tears indeed! Our first stop was Starbucks, naturally.

I was over the moon to see where Ash and William have been living since they got married in 2011. We usually see each other at when we're both at home in Charlotte in summer or for holidays, so it was such a treat to travel down to their home in NOLA.

Their place is in a home divided into 3 apartments! How lovely is this!?
That also means that they live in an absolutely stunning, historical residential area. 
I love old homes, so I was in awe driving down their neighborhood streets. 

After Ash and I sat and talked for a couple hours (...typical), we headed to Magazine Street to eat some lunch and meander into some local shops and boutiques!  

We dined at The Rum House, NOLA's only Caribbean taqueria! YUM!
  
 
All of the drinks were served in giant mason jars with neon straws! Love.

Chips + guac plus mango!? Yes.

A rumba taco and a brisket taco....yum!

We didn't buy anything in the shops, but I loved walking up and down the street and seeing all of the local businesses. There were some awesome consignment stores too. 

...And then we went home and took a power nap. Which was glorious. (Obviously.) When we woke up, we walked from her house to the big jogging path around Audubon Park (so convenient!).

 Of course I was drooling over every grand, gorgeous, historical home on the way to Audubon.
 I have a thing for white houses. And this one looks like a dollhouse (like so many others there!)!

After our walk we got ready for dinner at Lebanon's Cafe, a McEachern family favorite. It did not disapoint. Though I forgot to take pics, I loved my chicken, greek salad, pita, and hummus! 

We went out for one drink afterwards at Oak [since we knew we'd stay in Sunday night for Sean and Catherine's wedding...duh]. 

Oak is beautiful (obviously). 
Awesome atmosphere, live music, beautiful setting, and gorgeous artwork on the walls.

 Though they took this drink off the menu, Ashley managed to help the bartender figure out how to create the lovely pink drink they used to offer. Cheers!
 
 My favorite high school sweethearts (and my sweet host and hostess)!

SUNDAY
Ash and I started the morning reading through and discussing day 26 and 27 of the Wife After God devotional. Next up: brunch and my first visit to the French Quarter!

2 cups of coffee (each), Wife After God, a Bible, and some rich discussion. 
Love, love, love sweet Ash and and feel so grateful that we have seen each other through so many seasons of life.
Our friendship is an extraordinary treasure.

 Brunch at Dante's Kitchen

That's a crab meat and brie omelet. Oh, and the alligator sausage Ashley ordered for us isn't pictured. ;)

Downtown NOLA: Borbon Street 
Call me lame or un-fun (I will not take offense), but Bourbon street is not my jam.
I appreciated the street signs on the building walls downtown that reminded me of my study abroad in Spain!

This is palm tree lined Canal Street. Palm trees...who knew?! (Not me.)
 
Beautiful architecture all over this city.
 
Jackson Square

My first look at the Mississippi River!
 
You know what's fun about visiting girlfriends? Wearing their clothes instead of yours.
(Yep...that would be Ashley's sweater, necklace, and v-neck tee that I'm wearing! ;))
 
Final French Quarter stop: Cafe Du Monde
Cafe au lait and beignets!

We rounded up the night with The Bachelor Wedding. It was complete with comfy clothes, takeout pizza, Meomi, and some yummy chocolate truffles Ashley made. A perfect, girly, relaxing end to the trip! Totally grown sexy. (...You only get that if you watched the wedding. ;))

I flew home yesterday morning, and though I was sad to leave my sweet bffie, I was eager to get home and kiss my hubby! I miss him anytime we're apart...no matter how long or how short! :)

Cheers to travels, to lifelong friends, and to family! 
Have a wonderful Tuesday, y'all!
 
Now go visit my lovely sponsor, Khala!
The Birdie Bowl

50 comments:

  1. I would have been drooling over those houses too! I love love love those, but there aren't too many around here to look at. Looks like a great visit!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love historical homes, I would have been there ooing and ahhing right alongside you. So fun to be introduced to your friends' new homes, especially when it's somewhere you've never been! Also- it sounds totally grown sexy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swooning over your trip, sweets!! Looks like it was a fabulous getaway! I've never seen a more glorious sunrise ...nor has my tummy ever grumbled so at 6:55am - lol!! {You enjoyed some seriously scrumptious looking eats!!} Thanks for sharing your lovely adventures :) XO XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a good time!!! LOVE your picture of the sky before you left!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had such a great time and had lots of yummy food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! My mother-in-law is from NOLA, and they have a condo in between St. Charles and Magazine (so probably close to where you were staying!). I LOVE the rum house...so good! And no trip to NOLA is complete without Cafe du Monde!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it!! I want to go so badly now!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhhhh that sunrise over charlotte. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a PERFECT trip! and how adorable is their home?! My goodness! Hope y'all don't let another 6 months slip by before the next reunion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun trip! And I love her little apartment!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. now I want to go even more!!!! Such a beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great trip! No worries, Bourbon Street is not my jam either.

    I'm now wishing I had some beignets for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks like the perfect girl weekend! And, I'm totally craving some guac and tacos now. :) I'm cracking up at your "grown sexy" remark...sheesh that was overdone! But, I loved how the wedding gave the glory to Jesus. It was really cool to see that on TV!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sunrise, so gorgeous. What a wonderful trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this, sista!!! Wish I were there with you and Sassy McEach enjoying the beautiful NOLA. Now I just wish I were back in Wilmy with you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love girls weekends, they're the best!! That sunset....happy tears indeed!! I'm such a sucker for sunset pics and friends make fun all the time! Oh well :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun weekend!! And the beignets...YUM!! I actually just sent this link to my friend who is going to NOLA tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WHAT?! I JUST left NOLA. We missed each other by two days. I stayed in the French Quarter - right off Bourbon and I'm sure you would've avoided it like the plague, lol! Glad you enjoyed your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love New Orleans! Matt & I visited my Aunt & Uncle there in 2009 and it was so much fun! I love all of the old homes & the architecture all around the city! I'm a sucker for historical places so, it's a perfect fit!! So glad you enjoyed your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. looks like a fun, yummy weekend!

    Xo, Julia
    http://www.georgiapeachmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. These pictures are fabulous! I have never been to NOLA, so that's definitely a place I want to visit!
    xo A Southern Style

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ahh all that food!! I want it all!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE NOLA!!!! My husband and I will be going in March :) Beautiful Pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So beautiful! We are visiting NOLA in September and your pictures have me super excited! Any recommendations on must do's while we are there?!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like such an amazing trip!! I love New Orleans - I've only been once, but it was amazing and I've always wanted to go back :)
    Her home is beautiful and that is such a great picture of the two of you infront of the water!!

    What a blessing to get to spend time with good friends - my bff from high school is still my closest and oldest friend, and I am so thankful for her, so I know how you feel when you get to see then after a long seperation!!

    xx Em

    ReplyDelete
  26. I creep your insta sometimes so I've already seen some of these pictures, but looks like you had a fantastic time! That first picture is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great pictures! Looks like a fun trip. I've never been to Nola.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fabulous trip you had! I cry every time I go home and my best friend picks me up from the airport, and I wouldn't have it any other way! So happy you had lovely weather, great food and even better company. Have a great Tuesday dear! xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such great photos! That sunrise is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful way to spend a weekend with a favorite girlfriend! The houses are so gorgeous - I would be taking pictures of all of them! Not to mention all of those yummy meals! The brie and crabmeat omelet? oh.my.goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That sunrise is incredible!!! And those homes... *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks like an AMAZING trip! so many beautiful homes and amazing food! I've only ever been to New Orleans once, but it was definitely an amazing experience and I'd LOVE to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks like a perfect weekend - although now I'm STARVING!! Glad you had such a great time - visiting friends is the best - and their apartment is BEYOND adorable! I'm also glad you took my advice and got some benegiets. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Grown sexy, indeed (loved that wedding - I mean, how precious are Sean and Catherine? ) Looks like you had an amazing time. So glad you got to catch up with your sweet friend. It's good for the heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Everything looks so beautiful. I love the architecture of NOLA buildings. All the food looks delicious! Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Looks so fun! Love all the pictures. Glad you were able to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've only been to NOLA once but it is such a beautiful city. Your pictures are incredible!! Glad you had such a great trip and were able to spend some with your bestie - always good for the soul!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. i went to new orleans for the first time with my dad this summer as a daddy/daughter trip right before i got married and i seriously loved it! those houses, those oak trees, that spanish moss, so good!

    but i am totally with you that the french quarter was not my thing. i was much more a fan of magazine street and audubon park area!

    and i am so glad you guys were able to enjoy the wedding in the most grown sexy way! she was killing me, she is sooo funny!

    xo mk

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a fun trip!!! NOLA is such a fun place! And the food...there are no words! I think your next stop needs to be HOUSTON! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Looks like a wonderful trip! I have to make plans to visit there!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Holy freakin gorgeous pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. That sounds absolutely wonderful. I have never been to NOLA, but this made me really want to go. How fun that you got to watch the Bachelor wedding with a fun friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. You saved the best for last. Cafe du monde: did she miss cafe du monde??
    www.wearflowersinyourhair.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Looks like such an amazing weekend! Makes me want to go that much more! So glad you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow! Such gorgeous pictures!! Beautiful place. Love the old homes & where they live!! I finally watched the wedding last night - ah, SO SWEET!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I thought you looked familiar somehow! I grew up going to church with Ashley through high school - she is wonderful and so fun! It looks like y'all had a wonderful time together in New Orleans! I haven't been before but would love to visit in the next year or two... it looks so much like parts of Europe, which I adore!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Niiiiiiiiiiice. Really beautiful!! Love th mason jar drinks and the homes, of course. Glad you got some QT with your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love the recap and that makes me even more excited to go for my first time...did you love everything about it? Any specific places out of all you mentioned that you just LOVED??! Glad you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Looks like you had a wonderful time!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I could say so many things about this post, but I think I'll just go with my one question--if you did a study abroad in Spain, does that mean you speak Spanish?!

    ashleynicoleholmes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete