Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Across the Pond: 2 Year Reflections

 
I'm preeeetttyyy positive I might have y'all anniversaryed out between my last THREE posts (Us, 2 Years, and 2nd Anniversary Recap). So I have fabulous news: today you don't have to hear from me! It's Across the Pond time again with my lovely blog twin, Tara

Read all about her two year reflections below! And--if you're not entirely sick of my lovey dovey banter yet--you can pop on over to her blog and read my responses as well. All in the name of love! ;)
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The basics: When/where were you married?
We were married in my small hometown in the church I grew up in. To keep with the English/American theme we had a afternoon tea to follow and then an evening reception in Tampa Florida.



Looking back what was your favorite part of the wedding day ceremony?
There are two things that stand out in my mind that I will always cherish. One was the moment before walking down the aisle and I was in the back listening to our friends leading worship, I remember singing along to How great thou art/How great is our God and tearing up at how thankful I was for the friends and family that filled the sanctuary and the man that God created for me ready to meet me at the end of the aisle.

The second? The moment my dad took my arm and led me down the aisle. Before the big day I was advised to take a deep breath and soak up that moment because it would only come once, and that I did. Then I saw Stephen's face and lost it. It was perfect.

What about the reception?
The moment when we were officially Mr + Mrs and could celebrate with friends and family, from both very near and very far all in one room. 

We had asked each of our bridal party to pick a tune and create a dance as part of their introductions, our parents included. I can still remember standing at the top of the balcony watching each of them as they pumped up the crowd with their best dance moves. Priceless.

The reception was actually a little bittersweet. Although we were so ecstatic to finally be husband and wife, it was the last time I would see my friends and family before I jetted to the UK. The day after the wedding we went on a 'mini moon', attended a friends wedding in Canada and then flew straight to our new home in England. The sweetness is that life as a team could officially begin and we had the best send off in history, I'm sure of it.

What's the biggest lesson you learned (or have continued learning) this past year?
The power of saying no. And believe me this is a hard lesson for us. We are yes people, overly enthusiastic and always want to 'do' and 'go', always. We've learned that being 'yes men' and wearing the title of 'eager beavers' isn't always a positive quality. We've had to learn to be more intentional with our time together and set boundaries when it comes to time with others. We love people and we crave community, that will never change, we're just learning to balance and when to stop before spreading ourselves too thin. Key word : learning. It's a work in progress. 

The hardest part of year two?

Continually learning to live together. Although, if I let Stephen elaborate he would confess that I'm actually the one who leaves a pile of clothes in random places, and he would be correct, it's a bad habit. At least they're clean piles. The lessons lie in learning to love even when some things might get on our nerves, including those messy piles. Those same things that rack our nerves are missed when we are away from each other.

The highlight of year two?
Purchasing our first home. It's one of those moments neither of us will ever forget. This past year we have been making our home - home. We've enjoyed picking, choosing, and decorating together (although me probably a little more enthusiastically than S). We've enjoyed hosting our friends/family around for a fair few events and can't wait for the many more memories ahead in our first home together.


Name of few things marriage has taught you about yourself?
Without a doubt it's taught me to be selfless, or it's a least started to show me what that means. Marriage isn't about me anymore, in the most beautiful and positive way, it's about us. It's not a 'we' thing it's an 'us' thing and although I need to pinch myself sometimes when my 'I' starts creeping in I wouldn't change it for the world. Having a teammate to walk this journey is the best gift and so much fun!

What is something about marriage that has surprised you?
You can read every book about marriage and take every marriage course but until you walk through it day by day you never really fully grasp the blessing it holds. Society likes to paint the 'ball and chain' picture but it doesn't have to be like that. Marriage has blown me away, it's about two people coming together under a covenant under God and committing to fully walk this journey of life together, through the ups + downs, through sickness and in health. It's a beautiful and special thing when I realise that the lines are blurred and I forget where I stop and he begins. Now don't get me wrong, it's not about losing my identity because I will always have that, but it's about taking this adventure together, the highs and the lows. It's having a permanent cheerleader, encourager and teammate.

What do you love most about being married?
Just that, journeying life together. No day is the same and no challenge teaches the same lesson. It's about living out our purpose and our calling together. Enjoying each moment and looking at every challenge as a building block to something greater. And, it's just plain fun. Although I don't believe in luck, you could say I really lucked out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel like a some point Tara and I could write each other's responses and not know they weren't our own words. As if she and I haven't already realized how similar we are in our own conversations (hence the birth of this series!), each time we create one of these lovely posts, I see/hear so much of myself through her words. I hope she blesses you even a fraction of how much she blesses me...because even a fraction would be a lot! :)


Across the Pond Index

No comments:

Post a Comment