Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Sweet Potato & Quinoa Turkey Chili



It's technically spring...but the cold weather and rain last week couldn't keep me away from throwing one more batch of chili in the crock pot. It's no secret that I love chili. So when I saw this recipe floating around on Pinterest with sweet potatoes and quinoa, I knew I had to try it. Sweet potatoes? Quinoa? Chili? In one? Already sounds like my favorite chili recipe ever.

I used this recipe as a baseline, but I adapted it so I didn't have to run to the store for this and that. I'm a firm believer in "use what you have!"

Ingredients
1lb ground turkey
1 large shallot or 1 small onion, chopped [I left these out...hubs doesn't like onions.]
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper [I did not add salt.]
3 cups chicken broth (plus extra for re-heating) [Used water instead. Worked well for us!]
28oz can crushed tomatoes [I used 1 can of diced tomatoes and 1 can of tomatoes & okra]
15oz can baked beans [I used vegetarian baked beans]
I added a can of black beans...because chili without black beans seems silly to me.
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
1 large sweet potato (about 1lb,) peeled and chopped [Didn't peel. I'm weird and like the skin. :)]
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt [Didn't add]
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
Toppings of your liking 
Directions
Add ground turkey and shallot to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season liberally with salt and pepper then cook until no longer pink, breaking turkey up as it cooks. Add garlic then cook for 30 more seconds then add to a 6 quart crock pot. Add remaining ingredients, except toppings, into crock pot then cook on high for 3 hours, or low for 5-6 hours, or until sweet potatoes are tender. Serve with toppings. May need to add more chicken broth when reheating. 
 Throw it in a pot recipes are my jam.

I served Mark's with sour cream, cheese, and avocado.
To keep mine as healthy as possible (matron of honor duties are calling!), I just garnished mine with avocado.

I hope y'all enjoy this one as much as I did! If a cold, rainy day creeps its way in again before warm weather is here to stay, be sure to throw this one in the crock pot! Easy, hearty, and healthy for the win!

Cheers to Pinterest recipe success!

Frankly, my dear...you should pop over here to visit my sweet sponsor, Jenni!

18 comments:

  1. Sweet potato + black beans + avocado = one of my favorite combos ever. This seems pretty easy to make vegan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turkey chili is one of my favs! Love the sweet potato addition. That's new for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turkey chili is such a great, hearty dinner! I normally add a can of organic pureed pumpkin, but I love the idea of sweet potatoes!

    Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Elise this looks so good! (The avocado makes it I'm sure! haha I love anything avocado!) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the perfect recipe! I love finding ones that are hearty and on the healthier side. Plus, with this crazy weather you never know if we could get another cold weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to be honest--I made this recipe 2 months ago, and we hated it! It's one of the only times my husband advocated throwing away the leftovers. Ha! But I'm glad y'all liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM. So impressed with your culinary skills.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious and filling :) I LOVE successful Pinterest recipes, seriously what did we do before Pinterest??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds so good!! I just made chili Friday night! :) We don't have any deer meat in the house, I use turkey too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm this sounds amazing! Ryan loves chili...especially without beans, so I'll work with this! Fantastic recipe, girly :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great recipe - love the avocado on top - winner in my book!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for Pinterest successes! Well first off, this looks amazing! I make something similar that's more of a mexican casserole than a chili. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an interesting combo?! And in a crockpot...SIGN ME UP! I am also loving that little sponsorship bar!!! :) Love youuu!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i need to try quinoa and this looks like the perfect recipe to give cooking it for my first time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Iowa Girl Eats has so many great recipes! Looks like a perfect reason to break out the crock pot! Despite the warm temps, I'm craving chili now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Um. Yuummmmm! Sweet potatoes are a favorite of my husband's, so I know he will def love this recipe:) And Caleb loves them too, so it's a win-win in our house!

    ReplyDelete